We are constantly looking for interesting and historical maps of St. Peter’s Parish. If you know of any which are copyright free, or own one and would not mind us including it on this site, then please contact us. In the mean time, we hope you enjoy the following selection.
There is an excellent web site, constructed by Mark Annand, detailing Greenwoods map of London in 1827. Click here to link to it now.
You can also link from the UCLA site to a site hosted by the University of Michigan which has a copy of ‘Charles Booth’s Descriptive Map of London Poverty’ from 1889. However, I would advise that you use our link to this site, as we display it in a new window whilst UCLA displys it in a small ‘frame’. Click here to visit the site; or click here to see the London Docks area.
The new one of Stanford’s 1862 is very good:
Some City parishes:
6 inch maps (all UK) 1850-90:
Another good source of historical maps is:
Old Maps of Tower Hamlets:
This excellent site, run by the Mernick brothers, features a facility to view old and new Tower Hamlet maps side by side.
Historical maps free from copyright are hard to find. We would therefore like to remind you that if you know of any which are copyright free, or own one and would not mind us including it on this site, then please contact us.
Stepney is the original parent parish of all, and the first-named in each group, parent parish to those within it.
Additional note: Parishes soon became a convenient unit for the Crown to use for civil administration, but after about 1840 division of parishes was not followed automatically by the division of the coterminous civil parish. In the case of Stepney, nine hamlets (whence the name of the modern London Borough, Tower Hamlets) are listed in Hatton’s New View of London (1708) – Spitalfields, Bethnal Green, Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town, Stratford-le-Bow, Ratcliff, Limehouse, Poplar, & Blackwall.
By 1708 some of these were already separate parishes. Stepney’s history, with its proximity to the City, is especially convoluted. The original four hamlets were Ratcliff, Poplar, Limehouse (separate parish 1720) , and Mile End (+Stratford-le-Bow (church 1311, parish 1719) by the 16th century), Whitechapel having been created as a parish out of Stepney as early as 1329; Bromley St. Leonard c.1536, and out of Whitechapel came the hamlet of Wapping-on-the-Wose, later Wapping (chapel of ease 1617, parish 1694).
Then out of Ratcliff (not a parish until 1838) came the hamlets of Shadwell (1645, parish 1670), Wapping-Stepney (or St. George’s in the East) (1670,parish 1728); out of Poplar (separate parish 1817) came Blackwall and the Isle of Dogs (never separate civil parishes); out of Mile End came Bethnal Green (1597, parish 1746), Spitalfields (1662, parish 1729); and Mile End New Town (1691, parish 1838); leaving Mile End Old Town (parish, 1840).
By 1890, there were some 67 parishes. Now there are only 23. For civil administration most of the parishes founded before 1837 also became civil parishes. The county was Middlesex until 1890, then the new County of London. The parishes and vestries became part of Metropolitan Boroughs in 1900 –
Bethnal Green – Bethnal Green group
Stepney – Stepney group, + Limehouse, Mile End New Town, Ratcliff, Shadwell,
Spitalfields, St. George-in-the-East , Wapping, Whitechapel
Poplar – Poplar, Bromley St. Leonard, St. Mary Bow.
In 1974 all these M.B.s became part of the new London Borough of Tower Hamlets, almost if not entirely co-terminous with the original parish of Stepney!
A good site for more info on this area is the East of London Family History Society at http://www.eolfhs.org.uk/
I’ve tried to comment about their IGI status, but if you go to www.familysearch.org and Browse >
Library Catalogue > Placename Search [enter Poplar or St George in the East or Stepney or Bromley or Bethnal Green &c. and select the one in Middlesex – it can be picky about the spelling of the placename , if no luck first time try all possible variations] > Church Records and Church
Records-Indexes, you will see a list of all the LDS film holdings.
Batch numbers are at this site > http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/nzsoghamilton/batchnumbers.htm
Some churches may appear on the BVRI rather than the IGI.
If on the IGI or BVRI then the LDS has a film of the registers.[which may not be complete].
BETHNAL GREEN, St. Matthew, Church Row [out of Stepney 1746] still open
Bethnal Green, City of London Hospital for Diseases of the Chest Chapel,
St. James’s Road non-parochial
Bethnal Green, Jew’s Episcopal Chapel, Palestine Place  non-parochial Demolished 1895.
Bethnal Green, St. Andrew, Viaduct Street [1841/43] Closed & demol.1958, parish united with St. Matthew.
Bethnal Green, St. Barnabas, Grove Road, Bow  Began as St. Luke’s Mission from St. Simon Zelotes, 1865. bombed, rebuilt 1957,still open
Bethnal Green, St. Bartholomew, Coventry Street (Essex, later Buckurst Street)  1941 Bomb damage, re-opened 1955. United to St. Simon Zelotes 1978. Church closed 1983, converted to flats .
Bethnal Green, St. James the Great, Bethnal Green Road  Par united to St. Jude, 1951. Church redeveloped as flats, 1983-4. Parish united to St. Matthew’s.
Bethnal Green, St. James the Less, St. James’s Road  Blitzed, restored 1961, still open. Parish united to St. Mark, Old Ford 1973.
Bethnal Green, St. John, Cambridge Road (now Cambridge Heath Road) [1818, separate parish 1837] still open. 1951, parish united with St. St. Simon Zelotes and St. Anthony; 1978, parish united with St. Bartholomew.
Bethnal Green, St, Jude, Old Bethnal Green Road  Bombed 1940, later demolished, 1951 parish united to St. James the Great.
Bethnal Green, St. Matthias, Hare Street  1954 parish united to St. Matthew’s. 1957 church demolished.
Bethnal Green, St. Paul, Virginia Row [1852/65] bombed, 1951 parish united to St. Matthew’s & church demolished.
Bethnal Green, St. Peter, St. Peter’s Street [1841/43] 1941 bombed, re-opened 1955. 1951 par. United with St. Thomas & part of St. Jude. still open
Bethnal Green, St. Phillip, Mount Street  1954 parish united to St. Matthew’s & church closed. Demolished 1966.
Bethnal Green, St. Simon Zelotes, Morpeth Street  bombed 1943,44, later demolished. 1951 parish united to St. John’s
Bethnal Green, St. Thomas, Baroness Road [1844/1851] War damage, demolished 1954. 1951, parish united to St. Peter’s
BROMLEY ST.LEONARD (St. Mary’s) (High Street) [c.1100, out of Stepney c.1536] The lady chapel of Benedictine convent of St. Leonard, became the parish church 1536, destroyed by bombing and construction of Blackwall Tunnel northern approach road. Porch and part of a wall remain. Parish united to St. Mary Bow, St. Mary.
Bromley St. Andrew [?1900] Bromley, All Hallows, Devons Road  still open rebuilt 1955. united to Holy Trinity .Congregation worshipping in Bow Road Methodist Church. Bromley,
St. Gabriel, Chrisp Street,  gone? – united to All Saints, Poplar
Bromley, St. Mary the Virgin  Bromley, St. Michael and All Angels, St. Leonard’s Road  united to All Saints, Poplar
Bromley, All Hallows, Abbott Road, East India Docks.  rebuilt 1955 – still open
Bromley, Christ Church, Oxford (Mission District), Lodore Street [may have become St. Frideswide’s???]
LIMEHOUSE, St. Anne, Commercial Road [out of Stepney 1720] still open Limehouse, St. James, Butcher Row, Ratcliff  damaged in WW2, , Royal Foundation of St. Katherine moved to site from Regent’s Park, 1952, parish united to St. Paul, Shadwell.
Limehouse, St. John, Limehouse Fields [before 1874] now gone? Limehouse, St. Peter, Garford Street  demolished 1980s united to St. Anne’s
MILE END NEW TOWN, All Saints, Buxton Street  – demolished Mile End New Town, St. Olave, Hanbury Street [before 1886] – now gone
MILE END OLD TOWN – see under Stepney.
POPLAR, All Saints, East India Dock Road [1653 chapel-of-ease built by the East India Company in the High Street], separate parish out of Stepney 1817 or 1821, with new parish church on new site to which registers were transferred from the old chapel, now named St. Matthias [see below]
– All Saints’ still open [by 1958 described as being with St. Nicholas Blackwall and St. Frideswide East India Dock Road]; 1971 united with St. Michael & AA. Bromley and Poplar St. Saviour with St. Gabriel &
St Stephen to form Parish of Poplar. Youngs “The Parishes of England”, gives 1817 as the date of the new parish, but the building was complete and the registers begin June 1821
Poplar All Saints, East India Dock Road [with the church at St. Matthias, chapel of ease in Stepney 1653, separate parish out of Stepney 1817, this became the parish church on completion 1823.] –still open. 1952 parish united with St. Frideswide [by 1958 described as being with St. Nicholas Blackwall and St Frideswide East India Dock Road.
Poplar, Christ Church, Manchester Road, Isle of Dogs  – still open
Poplar, St Frideswide East India Dock Road/Lodore Street (1914) bombed WW2, closed 1947, not re-built, parish united to All Saints 1952.
Poplar, St. John, Manchester Road, Cubitt Town [before 1873] now gone?? – united with Christ Church.
Poplar, St. Luke, Strafford Street, Millwall  still open in church hall, united with Christ Church
Poplar, St. Matthias, High Street  enclosed East India Company Chapel of 1776 replacing chapel of 1654; a chapel of ease to Stepney until 1817, in Poplar All Saints until 1867, when gained separate parish and registers re-commence: when in 1823 All Saints became the parish church the registers had gone to All Saints. As chapel, licensed for baptisms and burials from opening in 1653, but marriages ceased from 1754 (Hardwicke’s Act) until became a parish church in 1867. Marriages take place in Stepney 1754-1821, and in All Saints 1821-1967. – Still open 1966. Derelict by 1976, renovated 1991 as a community centre – there is a long description of this church in the “London Docklands” edition (1998) in Pevsner’s “The Buildings of England”
Poplar, St. Nicholas, Blackwall Stairs (Yabsley Street) (1900) bombed 1940 and closed 1941, not rebuilt. Mission Church in All Saints. East India Dock Road. The LMA have an odd marriage register for June 1967!!!
Poplar, St. Saviour, Northumberland Street [later Northumbria Street] [before 1889] united to All Saints, Poplar
Poplar, St. Stephen, East India Road [before 1867] united to St. Gabriel, Chrisp Street, Bromley
ST.GEORGE’S-IN-THE-EAST, St. George in the East, Cannon Street Road [out of Stepney 1729] – still open
St. George’s-in-the-East, Christ Church, Watney Street  – now gone??
St. George’s-in-the-East, St. John, Grove Street [before 1879] -now gone???
St. George’s-in-the-East, St. Mary. Johnson Street (Cable Street)  still open
St. George’s-in-the-East, St. Matthew, Princes Square [before 1890] – now gone???
St. George’s-in-the-East, St. Peter, Old Gravel lane, London Dock [ 1866] – still open
St. George’s-in-the-East, St. Saviour’s Mission [?]
ST.MARY BOW, (Bromley by Bow, otherwise Stratford-le-Bow or Stratford-atte-Bowe – do NOT confuse with Stratford, Essex, the other (east) side of Bow Bridge, originally called Stratford Langthorne)
St. Mary, Bow Road [1311, out of Stepney 1719] sometimes simply called Bow Church [ do NOT confuse with St. Mary-le-Bow [Sancta Maria d’Arcubus or St. Mary of the Arches, home of the Court of Arches, in the City of London; home of Bow Bells] damaged in WW2 restored, still open.
St. Mary Bow, St. Stephen, Tredegar Road, Old Ford  demolished after bomb damage, 1940s.
St. Mary Bow, St. Paul, St. Paul’s Road (St. Stephen’s Road)  – still open.
St. Mary Bow, St. Mark, Victoria Park ( Cadogan Terrace) rebuilt 1960s united with St. Paul’s(previous entry)
St. Mary Bow, Mission District of Christ Church, Old Ford [???]
SHADWELL, St. Paul, High Street [1656, out of Stepney 1669] still open
SPITALFIELDS, Christ Church, Commercial Street [out of Stepney 1729] still open
Spitalfields, St. Mary, Church Passage, Spital Square [before 1868] now gone
Spitalfields, St. Stephen, Commercial Street [before 1880] now gone.
STEPNEY, St. Dunstan, (St. Dunstan & All Saints)White Horse Street [the medieval parish church of Stepney] – still open
Stepney, Cologne Street Mission [18??] [in previous parish] – long gone
Stepney, Holy Trinity, (Morgan Street) Tredegar Square (MILE END OLD TOWN)  [now worshipping at Bow Road Methodists??] Stepney, Christ Church, Jamaica Street [before 1877] now gone ??
Stepney, St. Augustine, Settle Street (Newark Street), Commercial Road  the largest church in Stepney, bombed 1940, registers finish 1848, bombed 1940 . 1951 parish united to St. Philip the Apostle.
Stepney, St. Benet, Mile End Road (MILE END OLD TOWN)  now chapel of Queen Mary’s College[?] parish united to St. Peter Cephas Street
Stepney, St. Luke, Burdett Road  church blitzed WW2 and demolished. 1951 united to St. Paul’s, Burdett Road as Bow Common St. Paul with St. Luke parish
Stepney, St .Matthew, Commercial Road/Salmon Lane  Church closed 1955. – now gone?? 1951 parish united to Limehouse Fields St. John. 1956 united parish abolished and divided between Stepney St.
Dunstan with All Saints and Limehouse St. Anne .
Stepney, St. Paul, Burdett Road, Bow Common  blitzed WW2, rebuilt 1960 – still open
Stepney, St. Peter. St. Peter’s Road / Cephas Street  still open 1978, now closed, building gone ??
Stepney, St. Anthony, Globe Road  1936 Parish united to Bethnal Green St. Simon Zelotes. Church now gone?
Stepney, St. Philip the Apostle, New Road (Stepney Way) Stepney, St. Philip the Apostle, New Road (Stepney Way)/Newark Street [1819, parish 1837] rebuilt 1892 as magnificent vaulted church, the largest church in Stepney 1951 parish united to St. Augustine’s Closed July 1978, in 1988 it became the Medical Library for the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel.
Stepney, St. Thomas, Arbour Square  bombed 1940 closed 1940 church gone?, 1951 parish united to St. Dunstans.
Stepney, St Faith, Shandy Street.  badly damaged bomb blast 1940. 1951 parish united to St. Dunstans. Hall survives.
Stepney, Emmanuel Mission
WAPPING, St. John, Church Street [1617, out of Stepney 1694] gutted in WW2, tower remains, small church built in ruins, parish united to St. Peter, London Docks.
WHITECHAPEL, St. Mary, (St. Mary Matfelon) Whitechapel Road [out of Stepney in 1323] bombed, WW2, not rebuilt. 1951 parish divided between Spitalfields Christ Church with All Saints and Stepney St. Augustine with S. Philip.
Whitechapel, St. Jude, Commercial Street  1923 parish united to St. Mary Whitechapel. Church now gone???
Whitechapel, St. Mark Goodman Fields, St. Mark’s Street  1926 Closed and Parish united to Whitechapel St. Paul Dock Street. Church now gone???
Whitechapel, St. Paul, Dock Street  closed 1990. Parish united to St. George-in-the-East.
OTHER INSTITUTIONS WITH ANGLICAN CHAPELS/CHAPLAINS:
London Hospital, Whitechapel ; Bethnal Green Workhouse ; Whitechapel Workhouse and Infirmary ; Operative Jewish Converts’ Institution ; Oxford House. City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery [do not confuse with the City of London Cemetery at Ilford] ; Mile End Workhouse, Infirmary and School ; Poplar Union ; Stepney Union ; St. George’s-in-the-East Workhouse, Infirmary and Schools ; Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum ; City of London Union, Bow Road; Church Workers’ Training Home.
We now stock an excellent range of Alan Godfrey Old Ordnance Survey Maps. These really bring to life 19th century London and help to place your ancestors. Please click here to view the range.
Please click here for a guide to the parish registers of Tower Hamlets held at the London Metropolitan Archives.